This morning I had a healthy, nutritious breakfast I wanted to share with you.
Some people may consider it boring, but the benefits of oatmeal are numerous. It can be taken to the next level with a few easy add-ons.
Benefits of Oatmeal:
- Good for your heart! Helps lower cholesterol and protects against heart disease.
- Reduces risk of diabetes! Balances out blood sugar levels.
- High in fiber! Low in calories/fat, high in protein.
- Increases breast milk production? May be a correlation between oatmeal and milk production for nursing moms.
Here’s how to add some more flavor to your oatmeal:
I like to sweeten my oatmeal with maple syrup. I buy organic maple syrup from BJ’s, and though it is on the pricier side — it is worth every penny. My husband and I use this not only to sweeten our oatmeal but also our cereal in the mornings and a refreshing glass of milk before bed.
- It is a common misconception maple syrup contains lower calories than sugar. It is still a simple sugar, however since the sweetness of maple syrup is more intense, a little goes a long way. You do not need to use as much in comparison to sugar.
- Maple syrup is a good source of manganese and zinc.
Fresh strawberries are my favorite add-ons to oatmeal, but you can top it off with whichever fruit your heart desires. Peaches, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples…and I can go on forever. We all know the benefits of fruits, but this is a simple and quick way to get in our fruit serving for the day.
Personally, I am not big on cinnamon with my oatmeal, but this is a very popular way to spice it up.
Try it out, comment below, and share pictures of your oatmeal on Instagram/Twitter – @hijabilifestyle #hijabilifestyle.