Friday is a special day for Muslims all around the world. All Muslims congregate together for a mid-day prayer called Salatul Jummah (the Friday prayer) which consists of a khutbah (short sermon) and salah (prayer). As is the case with any special day, you prepare for it by taking care of your body, dressing up nicely, and looking your best. Therefore, grooming oneself before the prayer is part of the sunnah (practice of the Prophet Mohammad peace be upon him).
One of the sunnahs in preparation for Jummah is the cutting of nails. This is where sunnah and beauty meets for me — I try to hold off on my manicures and pedicures until Thursday night or Friday to fulfill the sunnah.
Here are the steps for a do-it-yourself at home manicure:
- Trim your nails. Cut your nails to your desired length. Personally, I like to keep mine short.
- File to desired shape. File your nails to the desired shape. A popular shape is flat on top with rounded edges. For nail shapes and descriptions, click here.
- Buff. Using a nail buffer, buff out the fringed edges and tops of your nails.
- Soak in soapy water. Soak your hands in warm water with soap to soften your cuticles for a few minutes. Dry when done.
- Use a cuticle remover. Spread cuticle remover cream/lotion (can be purchased at any local drugstore) over your cuticles as directed on packaging.
- Push back cuticles. Use a soft wooden cuticle stick (can be purchased at any local drugstore) to push back your cuticles. It is not recommended you use a cuticle cutter. This can cause infections and should only be used by professionals. Rinse your hands and dry.
- Polish nails. The polish section is the softest section of your buffer. I save this for later when my nails are all clean. Polish your nails until they look shiny.
- Apply oil and moisturize. Apply cuticle and nail oil on your nails and rub in. You should do this every night before bed to keep your nails healthy. Moisturize your nails and hands with lotion.
Try it and let me know how it went in the comments below! Also, if you have any specific products you like to use and recommend, do share in the comments.
HAPPY JUMMAH 🙂